Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Progress So Far

I got started two weeks late on August 14th.




To start I scraped out leaves and debris from cockpit and rear hatch area.  Used shop vac to pump out water.  Lots of water.  Removed and cleaned outboard tanks, battery box and battery.  Opened cabin and pumped out more water. 

Removed mast and rigging and put on sawhorses.  The boom, sails, and sheets are stored in the basement along with the electric trailer winch.  Refurbished mast powering light and plug in.  New one costs $47.97 at West Marine.  Did have to buy $168 of wire, fittings, and braided halyard.  Also replaced topping lift.  Put new rings on standing rigging versus cotter keys.  Replaced rusted cotter keys on spreader bracket.  Put on new spreader boots and taped up.  Learned a new trick from the West Marine guy, zip tied the spreader boots on.  How cool.

Consulted with Gordon, my 86 year old father-in-law, on how to refurbish the wood pad on the outboard bracket.  He gave me some scraps of plywood to cut and laminate for the pad.  Gonna work on that today.  New bracket costs $249 at Fisherman's Marine Supply.  I had to find my table saw in the garden shed and rescue it.

An unexpected pleasure has been finding all my small tools and organizing them.  Takes a while, but it sure is neat to be able to find things.

Sail on.

Captain Hal.

No comments:

Post a Comment